Art Deco – Members Challenge
Aotearoa Quilters invites Members to enter the ART DECO Challenge.
Art Deco – a style of visual arts, architecture and design that first appeared in France just before WWI. The style influenced the design of buildings, furniture, jewelry, fashion, cars, theatres, trains, ocean liners and everyday household items. It combined modernist styles with fine craftsmanship and rich materials, representing luxury, glamour, exuberance, and faith in social and technological progress.
Conditions of Entry
All conditions outlined in the Conditions of Entry and the Entry Form must be met to make entries eligible for judging.
- The finished quilt must measure 30cm wide x 50cm [12” x 19 ¾”] high and reflect the theme of ART DECO
- Quilts must not be mounted or framed with hard materials and be able to withstand traveling to several venues.
Hanging and Identification Details
- A hanging sleeve 2 ½ inches wide, finishing ½ inch from either side and no more than ½ inch from the top edge of the quilt, is to be securely stitched to the top of the quilt.
- The hook side of Velcro is to be stitched to the top edge of the hanging sleeve. [also ½ inch from the sides and top of the quilt] No stick-on velcro is to be used.
- Soft sided Velcro is to be named with the quilt title and maker’s name and attached to the hook side of the Velcro. [this is for protection of quilts when packaged for travel]
- A fabric label with the quilt title, makers name, address and phone number is to be securely attached to the quilt, on the back bottom left hand corner, when viewed from the back.
- Entrants must be current Members of Aotearoa Quilters. The entry fee is $15 and additional entries $10. It is preferable that the payment is made by online banking to ASB 12-3048-0289863-00 Reference: ART DECO and Your Name.
- Entries must include a self-addressed courier/postage bag [no cartons] large enough for the return of the quilts. It is acceptable to send and return more than one quilt in the same bag [for return, please note this on the entry form]. Cardboard and other forms of packing [except a cloth bag] are not retained for return of quilts because of storage constraints.
- Aotearoa Quilters reserves the right not to accept any quilts that do not meet the conditions of entry or that the Committee deems as not being a suitable entry.
- Insurance of entries is the responsibility of the entrant. Whilst all care will be taken, Aotearoa Quilters will not accept liability for any loss or damage of quilts.
- All entries must be for sale for a price set by the maker. Aotearoa Quilters will add a 20% commission.
- Up to 20 entries will be selected to travel. Unsold Quilts will be returned to the makers within 12 months, unless otherwise arranged with the Quilt Maker.
- Quilts will be exhibited at a range of venues arranged by Aotearoa Quilters.
- Quilts are not to be exhibited at any other venues prior to entering this challenge.
- Partial photographs of up to 20% of the quilt may be shared on social media or any other public forum prior to the opening exhibition. The intention is to create an interest without revealing the main features of the quilt.
- Aotearoa Quilters may use photographic images for promotional purposes. Quilt makers will be acknowledged.
ENTRY FORM – Art Deco
- Complete an entry form and entry fee payment online for each submission. A printed copy of the entry form will be emailed to you and is to be printed and sent with the quilt. Entry fees may be paid by cheque, however online payment is preferable.
- Return addressed courier/postage bag large enough for return of quilts. For the protection of your quilt it should be submitted in a suitably sized cloth bag that is labelled with the quilt title and makers name.
- Entries must be received no later than 12th July 2018. Late entries will not be accepted.
Courier address – Shirley Sparks, Aotearoa Quilters, 117 Motu Capri, Pauanui 3546.
Postal address – Shirley Sparks, Aotearoa Quilters, P O Box 211, Pauanui 3546
Notes on Sending Submissions
- Postal entries– may arrive at any time prior to the final date, 12th July 2018.
- Couriered entries-please do not send to arrive before the 2nd July 2018 as they will be unattended.
- Please check with your courier company to ensure delivery by the due date [12th July 2018]. NZ Post and NZ Couriers deliver to Pauanui five days a week.